On 26 January 1937, a group of 13 men gathered together to form the Dee Why/Collaroy Sub-Branch of the RSL. This was the beginning of Dee Why RSL.
In July that same year, the RSL state branch granted permission for an affiliation and an appropriate location on Pittwater Road named Luana Hall was found. Luana had originally been built as an MGM Cinema, it was leased by the sub-branch and by 6 October 1937 the first meeting was held there.
The sub-branch made great use of the hall, holding dances, card parties and raising funds for the war effort to provide improved services and facilities. Collaroy was granted their own charter in 1945. In June 1948 Luana was purchased for a total of £6009.
The club has continued to grow and today DYRSL is proud to provide services to more than 50,000 members. The importance of the clubs heritage is remembered daily through the recital of The Ode which plays every evening at 6:00pm.
They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old,
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn,
At the going down of the sun and in the morning,
We will remember them.
Lest we forget.